Thursday, September 24, 2009

Penne with Corn, Roasted Poblanos, Avocado and Tomato

When James wants husband bonus points, he has many, many options. But one of my favorites is when he comes home from the store armed with a bottle of wine and a cooking magazine. I could spend hours drinking wine. I mean, I looking through recipes. Whatever. It's therapeutic.

A long time ago James brought home a Cooking Light magazine and I've been making this recipe ever since. It's an interesting take on pasta because many of the ingredients are raw when you put it all together. And the poblanos and onions can make it a little spicy. So good!

It calls for queso fresco, which I never have, so I always use some sort of grated cheese. And sometimes we go without the avocado. Because, on matter of principle, I refuse to spend more than $1.50 on an avocado. Seriously! When I see an avocado for $2.00 it brings out my anger issues. And I usually just thaw some frozen corn kernels instead of roasting fresh, because in some aspects of cooking I'm just lazy. I use this recipe as a main dish, but you can also serve it alongside grilled chicken or steak if you want to be fancy. Sliced blackened chicken on top would be great, too.

And because I'm very proud, please notice the Fresh From My Garden Cherry Tomatoes in the picture! I love my little garden!


Here's the recipe, courtesy of Cooking Light Magazine:

Penne with Corn, Roasted Poblanos, Avocado, and Tomato

2 poblano peppers
2 red bell peppers
2 ears shucked corn
2 T. lime juice
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 t. ground cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
16 oz.
penne pasta
2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 chopped peeled avocado
3/4 cup
queso fresco or other grated cheese

Preheat broiler.

Cut poblano and bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Add corn to baking sheet. Broil 18 minutes or until peppers are blackened and corn is lightly browned, turning occasionally. Place peppers in a ziplock plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and chop. Cut kernels from ears of corn.

Cook penne according to package directions.

Combine juice, oil, salt, black pepper, cumin, and garlic in a large bowl; stir. Add peppers, corn, pasta, and remaining ingredients except cheese; toss. Top with cheese.

Serves 4.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Julia said...

This looks so good, I will have to try this recipe on my family, thanks for sharing.

Also thanks for the sharing about your mom on http://everydaymomideas.blogspot.com Its been really neat for me to read other womens stories. Oh and dont forget to stop by on Oct 1st to see if you won!
Good Luck
-Julia

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...