Friday, September 11, 2009

Picture Perfect Switchplate

You know how kids LOVE to see pictures of themselves? I have to give my husband credit for this one. He came up with the idea to decorate Peyton's switchplate with a picture of Peyton "surfing." Peyton loved it! Originally James glued on the picture, but after a while it started to get ripped up and sad-looking, so I Mod-Podged on a new picture for better staying power.



I just think it looks so cool! Want to make one, too?

What you will need:
Wax Paper
Switchplate
Picture
Scissors
Mod Podge
Foam Sponge Brush
X-Acto Knife


Cover your work area with wax paper.

Figure out how you want your picture lined up on the switchplate. You probably want to make sure you aren't cutting out the middle of your kid's face to make the light switch hole. I'm just assuming.

Cut the picture to size, adding about half an inch to each side:



Use the foam sponge brush to Mod Podge your picture onto the switchplate, wrapping the sides of the picture around to the back. Make sure to smooth out any bubbles. I used my X-Acto knife to cut a small diagonal slice in each corner to make it easier to wrap the picture around the switchplate:


Oh wait, that's not it! Someone stole my camera to take a picture of her 3-year-old hand. Here you go:


Ella took that last picture, too. I know. She's awesome.

Turn your switchplate onto its face and use the X-Acto knife to cut an X where the light switch will be. Then turn the plate back over, fold in the cut pieces, and Mod Podge them into place.

Let your switch plate dry completely. Cover with another layer or two of Mod Podge and let dry. I colored the screws with Sharpie markers to make them match a little better:



Happy Crafting!



5 comments:

Sally said...

Hi Darcy! I am Sally from Miss Macmurdy's! Thanks for following us and for commenting on the bloggety blog. So I LOVE the way you did this light cover. I have actually been gathering things to cover the switches and outlets in my kids surfing room. I never would have thought to do a photo...a surfing photo no less. When I post about ours I'll link to yours if that's A-OK. LOVE IT!

Darcy said...

Hi Sally,
I'm so glad you like the switchplate! Feel free to link it! :)

The Godoy's said...

Darcy, my name is Launi and I found your blog..blog hopping and I am SO glad. I LOVED your craft room idea..so I did it to my little girls room and it looks FANTASTIC! Thanks for the fun ideas!

Cathy said...

How DARN cute are you!!!!!! I've painted light switch covers before, but never added a picture. Love this personalized idea. Thanks for sharing.
Cathy

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

So cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...