Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Paper Heart Window Treatments

So we have this little dining area. It may be small, but it's cute, and it has three big windows that the sun shines through all day long. It really is a lovely little nook. The windows would probably look nice with curtains, but I'm not going to be buying them any because we're not staying here forever, and that's just the way it goes. 

During Christmas time, I hung some extra large Dollar Tree snowflakes and some smaller, jewel-toned, glittery Target snowflakes from fishing line and I clear push-pinned them to the ceiling around those windows. And I really kind of loved how it looked. 


But up until this year, I've been a Valentine's Day decorating slacker. I have boxes and boxes of Christmas and Halloween and Easter decor, but Valentine's Day? Zero Point Zero Zero.

Time to get to work!

I invested (they're worth it, but still! Dang!) in three heart craft punches - one for small hearts, one for medium hearts, and one for larger hearts. And then I punched and punched and punched and punched away. And then I cut a whole bunch of varying lengths of fishing line.

I used those sticky photo mounting squares and attached paper-punched hearts back to back all along the lengths of the fishing line. Some of the hearts even got a little extra rhinestone sparkle like that one down there. Those sparkle hearts have been acting a little Star-Bellied Sneetch-ish ever since.


I also made some hearts with two heart sizes layered up...


And even...

- wait for it - 

...all three heart sizes layered up. That's six heart punches per heart! The craziness! Since I used the punches, it was super easy to sandwich the hearts back to back evenly so that you can always see a pretty side no matter which way they sway in the breeze from the windows. 


I did have to use a bit of actual tacky glue for the big guys because the mounting squares couldn't handle the weight. Wimps. I used scrapbook paper and card stock, for crying out loud. Didn't matter, the fishing lines with the big hearts were shedding love hearts all over the place before I reinforced them with the glue.


It was really kind of relaxing and fun. I didn't even bother making the sides match. A heart might be blue on one side and red on the other. I know! Wild.


I like that they are so simple and so sweet. 

And I really like the pretty colors they bring into the space.

          

Winter snowflakes and then Valentine's hearts and then.... I was going to tell you not to worry, that I'd stop before I start hanging decorative Easter eggs.... but looking at these pictures, I can't make any promises.

I see lots of holiday window treatments in store for our little dining room!


Go little hearts, go!


Happy Valentine's Day decorating!



3 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

SO SO pretty!!!! I have seen them in person so I consider myself an authority on the matter :)

Mommy Sauri~ said...

what a fantastic idea. They are beautiful.

I saw your link at Under the Table and dreaming. Thank you for sharing.

Will you stop by my baby blog and tell me what you think about my valentine's day garland? I'd love to have you.

http://casadesauri.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-day-garland.html

Mommy Sauri~
http://casadesauri.blogspot.com

Heather Hutchins said...

Could you please let me know the brand of the large heart. Love the scalloped edges. my email is Hutchkd33@yahoo.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...